Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Grandmother’s Special Tomato Yoghurt Curry


A simple, easy-to-cook, yummy Tomato Curry with Yoghurt

Yoghurt is very popular in Indian Cuisine and is a staple in our kitchens. Not only are the probiotics in yoghurt good for your tummy, it’s also a good source of proteins, vitamins B6 & 12 and calcium. Low fat yoghurt can also lower your cholesterols and help in reducing weight.

This Tomato Yoghurt curry has the right amount of spice and tart that makes it perfect with rice, roti or bread. This is one of my grandmother’s recipes and is a favourite of mine. Just before my marriage, I was advised to learn some basic cooking and this curry was the only one that I wanted to cook. It was while heating the oil for tempering this dish that I dropped the boiling oil and badly burnt almost my whole lower arm. This was just 2 weeks before my wedding and resulted in my wearing bandages on my wedding day (hideous!!). I remember that my grandmother was devastated and blamed herself for the mishap. The burn was unbearably painful and with every tear I dropped it was my grandmother's heart that burnt.

Since then, I use very little oil when making this. I don’t think I can ever make this dish to taste as good as her cooking, but I hope it’s close. Try it out but be careful with the oil.


What we need:

Tomato – 2 whole
Onion – 1
Green Chillies – 4
Curry leaves – A few
Ginger – ½ inch piece
Thick Yoghurt – 1 cup
Oil for tempering
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Asofotida (hing) – a pinch
Corriander leaves for garnishing

How we do it:

Make slits in the tomato and boil in water till the skin comes off separate. Alternatively you can also microwave it on high for 5 minutes.
Remove the skin and mash up the tomato pulp until it becomes a smooth puree.


Beat the yoghurt with a cup of water to give it a smooth runny texture.

Chop the onions, ginger and green chillies.
 


Heat oil in a saucepan and add the mustard. Once mustard sputters, add the curry leaves, onions, chillies and ginger. Fry until onions turn translucent and add salt, turmeric and asafoetida.
 
Now add the tomato puree and cook for a few minutes.


Take the pan off the heat and add the yoghurt.

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.

You can choose the consistency of the dish by adding more or little water to the yoghurt. This is my favourite accompaniment to Paranthas especially Aloo Parantha. 

 

Love to hear what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome...from the look of it...you can sense that it tastes 'Yum'.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. vl try it soon. sad to hear your story

    ReplyDelete

Click here to leave a comment or just to say Hello