Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pineapple ka Panna


A Refreshing Thirst Quencher with a Twist


We usually prefer to eat out on weekends and one of our haunts is the Rashee Restaurant at Morning Glen Mall. There are very few authentic Indian restaurants that don’t go low on spice in Joburg and this is one of them. It was here that I first tried a pineapple panna. I have tried a raw mango panna before but never one made of pineapple. The delicious smoked flavour of the pineapple in this drink took my heart away and I was determined to try it myself. Sadly, I couldn’t get the exact smokiness in my drink thanks to my electric stove but otherwise the flavour was spot on.

What we need:

Ripe Pineapple – 1 whole

Sugar –half cup

Black Salt (Kala namak) – ¼ tsp

Mint leaves – a few (optional)

How we do it:

Cut off the head of the pineapple and roast it whole (without peeling) on your stove. Keep turning so that the whole pineapple gets charred on the outside and cooked on the inside.

Unfortunately I have an electric stove and so couldn’t roast the pineapple this way. Instead I cut off the head, put it on my baking tray and grilled it on my oven at 200oC for almost 40 minutes until I got the delicious aroma of cooked pineapple.
 
Take it out of the oven and let it cool. Using an oven works pretty much the same way as roasting on fire. But roasting on fire, gives the pineapple a delicious charred flavour that gives a zing to the drink.

Once cooled, peel off the skin and chop the pineapple.

Grind the chopped pineapple along with the sugar and black salt in a blender to get a smooth mix. Strain this mix through a fine sieve to get your panna.

Garnish with mint leaves and serve with ice cubes for a cool refreshing drink.

 
 
Try this and you wont be disappointed.

Love to hear what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Click here to leave a comment or just to say Hello