Friday, March 8, 2013

Happy Women’s Day!! Really???


I woke up this morning to the new message beeps on my phone. They were to wish me a Happy Women’s Day. I hadn’t quite realised it was this ‘special day’ for women until I got these messages.

Every morning, watching the news during breakfast is a ritual in our household. And today’s headlines were all about rape with the most shocking one – the rape of a 3 year old girl. It is quite an irony to hear such news on the so-called ‘Women’s Day’. We talk about celebrating Women’s day but what we women need is not a celebration but respect and a right to live our life. A right to just survive and not be tormented or tortured by those stronger than us. Before being treated as an equal we need to first be treated as a human being. We may not be able to stop all the atrocities towards women but we can try to make a difference in our own way.

Unfortunately it’s a woman who treats another with contempt. It’s a woman who calls another a slut or a gold digger; who dictates class by looking at a another’s bag or shoes; who laughs behind another’s back and shows off one’s good fortune in front of the less fortunate; who’s malicious gossip slurs someone’s character. Men do enough to make a women’s life hell? But can we stop doing that too? Can we stop doing that to each other? Can we learn to respect and honour the women in our life?

This got me thinking about the important women who have influenced my life. Despite the cliché, I could always say it was Mother Theresa or Joan of Arc or even (yes!) Duchess Catherine. But have they really influenced me? I don’t think so. It’s true they have led illustrious lives but I don’t know anything about them except what I have heard. The women who have influenced me are the ones who are closest to me. They are the ones whom I wish to honour today.

The first spot would definitely go to my grandmother who has been the influential factor that has shaped my personality and made me who I am today. I have never seen any other grandmother care or love their grandchild the way she has. Growing up, her word was law for me, not because I was afraid of her but because I never wanted to hurt or disappoint her. She taught me that it’s not fear that sparks obedience but love; for fear only fuels a rebel.

The next place of honour would go to my mother. During my teenage years, there was hardly a day when we didn’t fight. After all, which teenage girl doesn’t hate her mom. It was when I approached womanhood myself that I realised what she means to me. It is being away from her that makes me realise how close we are and how much I really need her. Her strength is amazing. She smiles, makes jokes and laughs at the most difficult times of life. She inspires me to be cheerful when everything looks bleak and makes me wish I was strong like her.

Another person who holds a place in my heart is my aunt. She is the smart, chic woman who I always looked up to as a child. She wore these fantastic stilettoes and I, quite literally, wanted to fill into her shoes. Her style, her confidence has always charmed me. I wanted to do everything she could do. So much so, that my dad still teases me that I would drink a particular brand of cola only because she liked it. She considers me a daughter and has always loved me the same. Maybe the passing years has simmered down the idol worship, but not the closeness that we share even today.

These women in my life have faced tremendous atrocities and difficulties in their individual lives, but I have never seen them shattered by it. They have always beaten the odds and survived as strong individuals. With women like these in my family, I don’t need outside influences.

And when I talk about women in my life, how can I forget my close friends. I have been blessed with good friends in every phase of my life. Friends who not only support me in all my idiosyncrasies but also who never judge me no matter what stupid and senseless thing I may do. I wouldn’t like to name anyone here as I am afraid of missing out someone and offending them. But you know who you are, Thank you!

This post has gotten unbelievably long and I would now like to say a special thanks to all of you who have stuck with me till the end. Good Day n God Bless!!

Love to hear what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Aunty, Mom and GrandmomMarch 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

    Hi Molu

    Read your article above. Your grandmom, mom and me are proud to have you as our daughter
    Love you tons darling. All the best for your new interest I remember you never entered the kitchen till you got married. Thanks to Kish for taking out your talent and making you the best cook

    ReplyDelete

Click here to leave a comment or just to say Hello